Oeuvre Nationale de Secours Grande-Duchesse Charlotte
Art.2 decree “London Christmas 1944” stipulates that the purpose of the work is to help the Luxembourg victims of the war in all cases where sufficient support from the public authorities is not yet organized or is not indicated.
Since 1944, l’Oeuvre Nationale de Secours Grande-Duchesse Charlotte (Grand-Duchess Charlotte Aid Organization) has assumed a prominent role in organizing and financing philanthropy and solidarity in Luxembourg. The initial goal of helping the victims of the Second World War has been expanded over the years to support the many philanthropic activities and projects led by foundations and associations in the social, welfare and social protection fields, as well as environment, culture and sport. The financial means necessary for this purpose are essentially generated by the National Lottery. The law of May 22, 2009 related to the Oeuvre and the National Lottery confirmed to the Oeuvre both the status of public establishment enjoying legal personality under the tutelage of the Prime Minister, Minister of State the following main tasks/goals:
– to help the Luxembourg victims of the Second World War;
– to support organizations working in the social field to achieve the objectives that these organizations have set in their statutes;
– to support organizations working at the national level in the fields of culture, sport and environmental protection;
– to participate in the expenses of the municipal social offices and the Fonds national de solidarite (free translation: the National Solidarity Fund), and;
– to organize and manage the National Lottery.
Geographic FocusNational - Luxembourg
‘- to help the Luxembourg victims of the Second World War;
– support organizations working in the social field to achieve the objectives that these organizations have set in their statutes;
– support organizations working at the national level in the fields of culture, sport and environmental protection;
– to participate in the expenses of the communal social offices and the Fonds nationale de solidarite
One-off aid: Specific aid is intended for not-for-profit organizations working at the national level in the social field, culture, sport and protection of the environment.
In order to determine unmet needs that are not adequately covered or not covered at all, l’ Oeuvre regularly undertakes investigations together with prominent actors of the civil society and the associate sector. To address those shortcomings call for projects are launched.
Call for projects: The Oeuvre regularly offers help through calls for projects dedicated to specific themes. The calls for projecs since 2014 have included the environmental commitment (“Yes We Can Care”), the integration of applicants for international protection (“mateneen”), the fight against addictions (“Addictions”), tolerance (“Respect”) or prevention in the field of health (“Sports-Sante”).
stART-UP Fund: The start-up fund of the Oeuvre is aimed at young and creative artists under the age of 36 to support their professionalization and the export of their work. Projects coming directly from not for profit organizations are eligible. Projects must have a link with Luxembourg, residence or nationality of the artist and be of public interest. The aid is one shot.