EFC and Dafne are looking for a Senior Communications Manager
Senior Communications Manager
European Foundation Centre and Dafne
Application Deadline: 05 March 2021
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2021
We are looking to recruit an experienced, mission driven, creative and strategic Senior Communications Manager to
- [short-term] Jointly with the communications team and management team of the European Foundation Centre, lead and oversee the implementation of the European Foundation Centre’s communication efforts for the year ahead,
- [mid/long-term] Jointly with colleagues and members from both the European Foundation Centre and Dafne, co-create the development and oversee the implementation of a communications strategy supporting the convergence of both organisations into one, to then also support the development and oversee the implementation of a communication strategy for the new converged organisation.
Duration: permanent, full time
The ideal candidate has a track-record of developing and implementing engaging communication strategies, in particular for complex membership organisations. He/she cares for the social mission of the philanthropic sector, understands the importance of thought-through narratives that unite, has a “can-do” attitude and is not afraid of taking new and innovative initiatives. He/she is able to inspire collaboration with vision.
Gradually working with colleagues and members from both EFC and Dafne, the colleague recruited will have excellent interpersonal and people management skills, and acts as a liaison across both EFC and Dafne teams. Our new colleague will be expected to have a good understanding of the specificities of multi-stakeholder communications, excellent marketing skills and experience in implementing strategic communications vis-à-vis the European Institutions. Experience in EU public affairs, change-management and in launching, developing and implementing new brands are considered a plus. Combining analytic and strategic skills and with the punctuality needed to deliver in a timely manner, our colleague will also embrace a ‘servant leadership’ attitude towards his/her colleagues and members, making sure to contribute to a positive, mutually supportive, and empowered culture.
- have at least 10 years’ experience working in communications, journalism/media relations and broader digital communications
- have a university degree, preferably in communication and/or marketing
- write and speak fluently in English and in one other language, with the ability to write and edit compelling articles & newsletters
- have some people management experience in a multicultural environment
- is an outstanding team player ready to lead an co-lead on projects with and the ability to see the need for, provide compelling arguments for and implement, and change
- have a great sense of initiative paired with a “can do” mentality
- have a proven ability to manage multiple work-steams and project plans
- have the ability to work flexibly and deliver under tight deadlines
- have an interest in the issues that philanthropy is striving to tackle
- have an understanding of / interest in EU affairs
- excellent ability in diverse communication tools, including online
- have a network of Brussels based EU affairs journalists
Joining the organisation at an exciting period of transition, the new colleague will be able to navigate different horizons, including tasks on short and long term:
- Short term: Oversee the implementation of the EFC’s communication efforts for the year ahead
Leadership and Management
- Manage and coach the communication team, a dynamic and dedicated group of experienced and junior communications professionals, and ensure their clear understanding of their roles, responsibilities, accountability and measurement
- Oversee the team’s work to advance the visibility and interests of the philanthropy sector across various formats (digital, print), channels and projects
- Define and manage communication budget
- Manage relationships with third party suppliers including communications & PR agency, web design, graphic design, branding, etc.
- Actively contribute to the direction and success of the EFC as part of the Management Team
- Implement a continuous improvement cycle to drive consistent, effective, focused and best-in class communications.
- Working closely with the CEO and Chair, raise the profile of the EFC and build a narrative around the evolution, challenges and priorities of the sector
- Deliver a full suite of communications support for several events including its flagship annual conference
Internal and Membership communications
- Contribute to employee engagement and knowledge/information-sharing
- Communicate regularly about developments, new initiatives etc. to members via dedicated email, monthly e-newsletter, social media and other channels
- Build/maintain relationships with fellow communicators in member organisations to work together where possible
PR and Reputation Management
- Manage press relations and seek out opportunities for media engagement
- Manage all issue and crisis communications and protocols
- Mid to Long-term: Jointly with colleagues and members from EFC and Dafne, support the communication needs of their convergence process and envision and implement the communication needs for a converged organisation, bringing together national associations of foundations and foundations
Leadership and Management
- Jointly with colleagues and members, define and oversee the development and delivery of a communication strategy for the period of convergence
- Jointly with colleagues and members, support the definition and contribute to the development and delivery of a fully integrated communications strategy for the new organisation
- Support the management and coaching of the communications team – including through changes that may come with the transition
- Jointly with colleagues and members, support the definition and contribute to the delivery of a new brand for the converged EFC-Dafne organisation
- Jointly with colleagues and members, support positioning the new organisation amidst a wide audience of direct and indirect partners including other philanthropy infrastructure organisations, EU institutions, and other stakeholders.
Internal and Membership communications
- Lead and support a strong change management track, allowing us to take all our combined membership with us throughout the transition process
- Support internal efforts vis-à-vis the team throughout the transition and beyond
- Develop and implement new ways of communicating with and to the combined and potentially growing membership of the new organisation
PR and Reputation Management
- Continuation of existing and co-creation of new PR and Reputation Management Initiatives
- Jointly with colleagues and members, contribute to the development of a comprehensive strategic communication plan and support its implementation.
- A versatile position in a dynamic organisation committed to social good, working with a great team of international colleagues, pulling together to bring value to the European philanthropy sector.
- An attractive salary commensurate with experience and extra-legal benefits including hospitalisation insurance, and, after one year, group insurance
- Monthly public transport reimbursement
- A contribution toward one language course per year, up to €250
- An attractive holiday regime in line with Belgian legislation and the European Commission holiday calendar
- Lunch vouchers
- A flexible and friendly work atmosphere in a beautiful building in the centre of Brussels
A bit about us
The European Foundation Centre, based in Brussels, is the platform for and champion of institutional philanthropy – with a focus on Europe, but also with an eye to the global philanthropic landscape. We bring together an international network of 200+ member foundations working in areas as diverse as culture, migration, health, socio-economic development and employment, scientific excellence, civil and human rights, environment etc.
The Donors and Foundations Networks in Europe, Dafne, brings together 30 national associations across Europe, representing over 10.000 public-benefit foundations, big and small, who want to make a difference in society. Dafne leads, strengthens and builds the field for the common good in Europe. Dafne is involved in four key areas: advocacy, peer exchange, communications and research that are needs-based and future-oriented.
During the course of this year Dafne and EFC will join forces to become one organisation and one voice for philanthropy. Together we will provide a stronger and more effective infrastructure to help institutional philanthropy tackle today’s and tomorrow’s challenges in an increasingly complex world.
How to apply
Please send your CV and half page cover letter including the names of two references to email@example.com, using “COMMS Manager” as your email subject by 5 March. Interviews will be organised online during the week of 15 March. The EFC is an equal opportunity employer and warmly welcomes candidates with diverse backgrounds. The selected candidate will be asked to join the team as soon as possible.
The EFC is an equal opportunities employer and warmly welcomes applications from diverse backgrounds.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified
Any questions? Get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org